Health, Emotion & the Solar Plexus Chakra/ Manipura Chakra
Spiritual Functions of the Manipura Chakra
- Subtle energies from the lower and the higher chakras pass through the Solar Plexus chakra.
- The Solar Plexus chakra and the liver also contain the emotional permanent seed.
- The Solar Plexus chakra contains the will center of the masses. A person has the option of either succumbing to the urges of the lower nature or answering the call of his higher nature. When the lower will of the person is aligned to the will of the higher soul, he is on the spiritual path of righteousness. The inner strength of the person increases as he is under the influence of his higher soul.
Psychological Functions of the Manipura ChakraThe solar plexus houses both the positive as well as the negative lower emotions. The chakra is also the centre of courage, daring, strong drive, perseverance and the desire to win. Positive lower emotions include ambition, daring, perseverance, strength, righteous indignation, justice and fairness. Negative lower emotions include anger, irritation, hate, envy, greed, destructiveness, violence, cruelty, resentment, worry, anxiety, fear, selfishness, aggressiveness, abrasiveness, addiction etc.
The Solar Plexus is the ‘I’ center and this is where the desire to win and succeed stems from. To be successful, the person’s Solar Plexus needs to be strong. It is the centre of assertiveness.
The lower will is located in the Solar Plexus chakra. Thus the Solar Plexus chakra is called ‘strength’ in Kabbalah. The will centre of more developed people is located in the ajna chakra, which is the active intelligence.
When a person is stressed or harbors a deep resentment towards others, the Solar Plexus chakra is filled with dirty red energy. The Solar Plexus is thus usually treated for psychological ailments.
Physiological Functions of the Manipura Chakra:
- The Solar Plexus chakra and the navel chakra control and energize the gastrointestinal system.
- The above mentioned chakra also controls and energizes the diaphragm, pancreas, liver and stomach.
- The pancreas can be energized through the back Solar Plexus chakra. The Solar Plexus chakra also energizes the large and small intestines, appendix, lungs, heart and other parts of the body.
- The quality of blood, the cholesterol level and the condition of the heart is also affected.
Conditions Caused by a Malfunctioning Solar PlexusOne of the main causes of malfunctioning solar plexus is the harboring of negative emotions. The problem is further compounded by a stressful environment. The chakra is located close to the vital organs.
The malfunctioning of the Solar Plexus chakra can cause problems in the organs nearest to the chakra. Sometimes when the front Solar Plexus chakra is functioning well but the back Solar Plexus chakra is congested, the person has negative feelings but does not express them.
What causes shallow breathing? Anger causes the Manipura chakra to throb erratically. This causes a disturbance to the diaphragm, leading to shallow breathing.
Negative emotions like anger and anxiety cause the energy body to destabilize, making the physical body vulnerable to all sorts of diseases. Continuous harboring of negative emotions can manifest as headache, glaucoma, asthma, diabetes, high cholesterol, gastric ulcer, hyper tension, arthritis, cancer, constipation and hyperthyroidism amongst many others.
What happens when a person is violent?The Solar Plexus chakra or Manipura chakra, the Basic chakra Mooladhara chakra and the Meng Mein chakra of the person become over-activated. But the Solar Plexus chakra is the main chakra that influences the other chakras. Negative emotions can manifest through different ailments among different people. The Basic chakra, Navel chakra and spleen chakra can also start malfunctioning from the prolonged harboring of negativity within. This could translate into severe arthritis.
What causes Hypertension?Hypertension is caused by the malfunctioning of kidneys or other factors. Essential hypertension from the medical view point, can be controlled but not cured. According to pranic healing, hypertension is caused by the over-activation of Solar Plexus chakra which causes the Meng Mein chakra to become activated. Essential hypertension is predominantly of emotional origin. Regular Pranic Healing can help in normalizing the patient’s blood pressure.
Forgiveness and Loving KindnessSome maladies and health conditions are often emotional in origin. They are caused by deep-seated resentment and anger. Though Pranic Healing can help alleviate the conditions, it is necessary for the patient to let go of such negativity. Sometimes, even after the patient recovers, there is a possibility of relapse if the patient keeps brooding about the unfortunate incidents or people in the past. The patient has to forgive. Without forgiveness, the healing will be slow and there could be a relapse. The act of forgiveness is therapeutic and necessary for good health.
Proper Emotions and ThoughtsInternal and external hygiene are important. Internal emotional and mental hygiene include positive emotions like happiness, kindness and joy. Positive emotions are beneficial for a person psychologically, etherically and physically. It is important to be sexually selective. Enjoy the company of happy, optimistic and positive people. Food should also be cooked and prepared by people with good energy and happy disposition as bad energy can be easily transferred through food. Spending time with an advanced spiritual leader is spiritually, emotionally and mentally uplifting for the students.
Equivalent Acupuncture PointsThe front Solar Plexus in Chinese medicine corresponds to the acupuncture point RN (CV) 12. The back Solar Plexus chakra in Chinese medicine corresponds to the acupuncture point DU (GV) 7 and DU (GV) 6 respectively.
Taoist Indian Correspondence of the Solar Plexus Chakra
- Sanskrit, the Solar Plexus chakra is called the Manipura chakra.
- In The Solar Plexus chakra is called Zhong Wan in Taoist Yoga, which means ‘center of stomach’. The back Solar Plexus chakra is called Zhong Shu which means ‘center of body’ or Ji Zhong, which means ‘center of spine’.
- In Tamil, the front Solar Plexus chakra is the Ner Varmam and the back Solar Plexus chakra is called Sangudhiri Kaala Varmam.